Monday, October 6, 2008

PDP

First PDP lecture of the year this morning. Hosted by a guest speaker, I believe - not the most gripping of fellows but lots of information to take in.
I must admit, I've never been the type to enjoy having a label stuck to my jumper and being told I'm "that person", out of a choice of several "types", so that part tended to irk me - especially when he rattled off the weaknesses for "my type". It sounds a bit boastful to say, but I am generally a really driven person. If I'm not working I'll be drawing or doing university work - so being told my "type" was prone to lack of motivation wasn't the best thing to say to convince me to learn more about my "learning type."
For the morbidly curious, it was agreed that I am a "Theorist", which makes me well-organised, factual and good at seeing alternatives and the bigger picture. The cons included putting things off, lack of confidence and several other even less desirable things. Not something one wants to hear first thing on a Monday morning!

Being told that when I have my first interviews I'll do this and that, and that I haven't had any experience of life, what with being a student didn't help. I left school shortly after my GCSEs and lived in Alta in Norway for 2 years, where I taught English and learnt Norwegian. Shortly after I worked jobs in the UK, including as a administrator for Churchill before moving on to be a recruiter for Thomas Cook. I realised I didn't want to be recruiting people to work as holiday reps my whole life, so I went back to college and took my A-Levels in Art, Photography and Graphic Design, and also won an award from the BBC and was published for my writing. Upon leaving the college with grades I was pleased with, I was awarded the "College Award for Creative Achievement" - an honour awarded to one student aloneeach year at Rutland College, and it made everything worth it. When I was accepted to Coventry it was a dream come true - people thought I could draw well and actually make something of myself with it! I was awarded with a creative scholarship, and it was a whole new different world for me.

So, what I'm trying to say here I don't really know. I just have this odd feeling about PDP, and about labels. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks we aren't all drones that can be boxed up, and I like to think I can't be.

No comments: